One of the best feelings in the world is bringing home your precious newborn. Their sweet newborn smell and soft skin; you’ll want to soak up all the snuggles you can with your baby.
However, when night hits and baby is crying all night you might find yourself searching the internet to find out what you can do to help baby sleep. Luckily the answer is right in front of you.
Simply swaddling your baby can drastically improve baby’s sleep!
Swaddling is the practice of wrapping baby in a lightweight swaddle blanket to help them feel relaxed and sleepy. It is meant to mimic the feeling of snugness in the womb.
There are many reasons why the simple swaddling of your baby can help baby sleep and feel calm. Here are the Top 5 Reasons Why Using A Swaddle Blanket Will Help You and your baby get a good night’s sleep:
1. Using a swaddle blanket can protect against the startle reflex: when a newborn is startled by loud noises or a feeling of loss of support, baby will throw out their arms in reflex. If this happens while baby is sleeping it can wake baby and therefore you. The swaddle blanket will prevent little one’s arms from flinging out, helping baby stay asleep.
2. Swaddle blankets can help prevent Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) by keeping things like ‘lovey” blankets, pillows or stuffed animals out of your baby’s crib. The swaddle blanket will keep your baby feeling calm and cozy so baby won’t need a stuffed animal or “lovey” blanket to keep them comforted. Plus, the swaddle blanket imitates your own warm touch so baby will be able to learn to self-soothe better than without the swaddle blanket.
3. Along with helping to prevent SIDS, a swaddle blanket can help keep baby safe by keeping them sleeping on their back. The National Institute of Health (NIH) says that by simply sleeping baby on their back significantly reduces the chance of SIDS. So keeping baby’s arms wrapped cozily inside their swaddle prevents them from easily rolling onto their stomach. This keeps them safely on their back.
4. Babies hands have an uncanny ability to find their way to their face or mouth. But when a newborn, baby does not have control of where their hands end up, often leading to their hands scratching their faces. Using a swaddle blanket will keep baby’s hands away from their face so they don’t scratch their face in the night and wake themselves up. This by default will help baby sleep better and longer.
5. Babies are unable to regulate their own temperature. In fact it is not until around two years old that a child can independently adjust to the varying temperature. So until then it is up to you to regulate baby’s temperature. A newborn relies on external factors, such as using swaddle blankets, to help keep them warm enough or cool enough. The best kind of swaddle blanket to use is a lightweight muslin blanket. A muslin swaddle blanket will keep baby at the right temperature - not too hot or too cold. This allows baby to have a comfortable and temperature regulated sleep.
Now that we have a few of the main reasons why you need swaddle blanket for your newborn, you’ll be curious about what are the Best Swaddle Blankets To Use. As mentioned above, the best kind of blanket to use to keep baby the most comfortable and cozy is a lightweight and breathable muslin swaddle blanket.
Oilo™ provides the perfect muslin blanket for your baby. Oilo’s swaddle blankets are made from the perfect breathable cotton ideal for swaddling, nursing, cuddling and more. Measuring 46"x46", these swaddle blankets can also grow with baby through the toddler years!
For Girls: Oilo’s Prim Floral swaddle and Butterfly swaddle blankets both feature beautiful pastel pinks and lavenders. These gentle colors add a touch of femininity and calm to your baby’s nursery. The wonderfully soft cotton material will be perfect for snuggling your little one and keeping them safe and cozy in their crib.
For Boys: The Misty Mountain swaddle blanket or the Midnight Sky swaddle blanket bring the outdoors to your baby boy’s nursery. The deep blue hues mixed with gold can bring the feeling of sleeping under the stars, helping create a relaxed atmosphere, perfect for deep sleep.
Gender Neutral: If you don’t want to focus on the pinks or blues for your baby’s nursery, then Oilo’s Llama swaddle blanket or Cottontail Bunny Rabbit swaddle blanket will be perfect for you. Both stick to a gender neutral animal theme as well as provide the perfect cozy muslin blanket to wrap your baby in.
Regardless of what cozy Oilo™ Swaddle Blanket you choose, you’ll know baby will be kept safe and comfortable. Swaddle blankets are definitely a necessity to keep baby comfortably asleep, so therefore you will also sleep better.
Instead of spending sleepless nights figuring out what to do to help your baby sleep, try a swaddle blanket first and give yourself and baby the sleep you desire!